Born to Run

There is a revolution underway in my apartment.

I suppose you might call it a foot revolution.  Or a knee revolution.  Or perhaps a pelvis revolution…I’m not really sure.  But I do know one thing: it’s working.

Ladies and gentlemen, meet the newest member of the shoeless running club.  Yours truly has kicked off the kicks and is now going au naturel.

Since high school, I’ve loved to run.  When I met my husband, we started running together, then got a few dogs and started running with them.  When the rainy Oregon weather drove us indoors for days at a time, we kowtowed and bought a treadmill.  Running was awesome – sweaty, cathartic, easy.

There was only one problem: my body hated it.  A weak ankle here, some knee pain there.  A trick hip that acted up viciously in cold weather, going up stairs, or when I wore heels.  For three years, I stopped running almost entirely.  When I sporadically took it up every now and again, in fits of I-don’t-care-I-simply-must-have-it, I was rewarded with joints that ached and clicked in a creepy way.  Not good.

Then, about a year and a half ago, my mother-in-law gave me Christopher Douglass’s book Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen.  The premise is simple: modern running shoes are bad.  Their fancy cushioning devices, arch support, flex grooves, carbon rubber, split heels, what have you – all this mumbo jumbo really does is prevent your feet from feeling the ground.  And feeling the ground is how we protect ourselves, how our exquisitely tuned toes, heels, ankles, shins, knees, hips help us find a rhythm that works long-term, without injury.

It seemed like a pretty good theory, but like all things my mother-in-law suggests, I regarded it at first with extreme suspicion.  And like most things my mother-in-law suggests, I finally tried it.  And liked it.  Don’t tell her.

It turns out that running without shoes has given me a strange, intense freedom.  I step more lightly than I could ever have imagined.  I’ve found that my natural, unshod gait hits the ground toe-first, which further cushions blows to the rest of my foot and leg.  I can run longer, farther, and faster, with less pain.

Although it remains to be seen whether this solution will continue to work for me in future, I am committed to finding out.  Strength training and a proper running style are still important, as is eating a healthy, joint-friendly diet (I’ve gotta curb that cake habit).  But with practice, according to Douglass, I can learn to run in ways that won’t deteriorate my bones and cartilage, bend me or cramp me, or prevent my system from doing what it does best: finding balance.

In other words, if all goes well, I can learn to run…forever.  Like I was born to.

Running the way nature intended it to be. I've never tried running without shoes, and have always had the impression that the better the shoe the less strain I'm going to have on my body, but your post has spurred me to try this out (although I'm not sure where, in the city!). I get similar issues with my ankles and knees, and if this can prevent it, then you have my sincerest gratitude!

It's so great to see that barefoot running is becoming more popular. I attempted once again to run but this time I got some barefoot running shoes. No back pain just lower leg soreness but that changed as I got used to the shoes. It seems like barefoot running is so obviously natural, why haven't we done it before?

I believe that running without shoes feels great. I used to run along the beach daily and it felt great. However, there are some places I run that I definitely wouldnt want to go shoeless.

Whats up! I just would like to give a huge thumbs up for the good data you have got here on this post. I will be coming again to your weblog for more soon.

• Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd><p>

Type the characters you see in this picture. (verify using audio)
Type the characters you see in the picture above; if you can't read them, submit the form and a new image will be generated. Not case sensitive.